Author Archives: Bruce

8th September 2017 Great River Race

St Ayles skiff wins the Great River Race!!!!!

Well done the crew of Felton Flyer who won the overall race with a time of 2 hours :32mins. Very quick. Although due to the use of non standard oars I understand they didnt win the St Ayles Trophy.

Great day out and also a great opportunity to see other St Ayles skiff. Many thanks to crew of boat 100 who rowed in the second St Ayles skiff built and provided quite a few tips about the build features they liked.

We had one scout rowing, (Well done Angus), and we already have half a crew “signed” up for next year. The full face results are here https://www.greatriverrace.co.uk/text_files/2017ProvResults.htm

We finished 306, which was our best time ever, despite having a few mishapes along the way and rowing with 3 oars for over half the race. First we “lost” the oar after being ambushed by buoy, then after getting it back, we then broke not one but both oarlocks for the stroke meaning we could row 3 oared . New oars definately helped, but they also showed up the weakness in the oarlocks. Great day out had by all.

May 2017

Well it’s been along time since our last build and Andy has made fantastic progress. I’ve added as many pictures as possible. Ive added the pictures in the months they have been taken.

26th April 2017

For most of us the buildng project has been disrupted by the school holidays with the scouts not meeting and families away. This evening was us getting back to meeting as group.

Andy (our very version of an army of elves) has been very busy and completed some fantastic work. Below our some pictures of the progress made.

Scouts put up the frames before we broke up for the holidays

Another view of th frames

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We then went through a period of lining up all the frames. Every frame needed to be adjusted slightly, some with slight schimes under them to ensure when the hog was placed on the “top” it sat straight and square.

Notice the string is quite straight, bit more work was done.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The frames all glued up ready for mounting onto the moulds

 

 

 

 

 

 

After getting the moulds all lined up Andy then got the inner stem and the hog mounted.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The last pic for this session was just checking the number plate fitted..

 

 

 

 

 

 

At this stage the frames had been mounted and held in place but needed further adjustment. The frames have been epoxyed in this evening.

There has also been some work on scarfing the planks. Andy did quite a few rest cuts and wasnt happy with the initital results, but has resolved this repeat, Some of planking has waroed slowly, depsite being stored in a dry and flat space. We think this has happened as it’s been cut out the board.

We also cut out the Mast head, this is made from 12mm ply. It’s probably not thick enough, and the scale has been a bit of guess, but we’re quite pleased with the first version.

Cut out of our mast head

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

and placed on the ground next to the stem. Yes the picture is upside down!

7th March 2017

Not many pictures from this week. Jobs completed included getting the stems out from last week. The wood planking was also prepared ready to be scarffed. The next jobs will be scarffing the planks. Andy has already made a jig ready for them.

1st March 2017

Another great turn out so we naturally split into two teams, those that had a working knowledge of what they are doing, and those without a scoobie!!

The expoxy team suited up ready to expoxy our lovely prepared wood. As can be seen we have taped the wood ready.

So where’s this boat then?

Clamp anyone?

We also cut out the rest of the wood from the panels as space may have got tight on our working cutting platform. As instructed we labelled up all the panels so we knew exactly where they can from and could recreate the sheet once all the panels had been cut out.

They got to grips with the Epoxy and by all accounts it wasn’t as slippery as expected, but as with most things many hands make for lighter work. The bigger clamps had been placed in first, then a series of tighten as you go.

These people must be experts….

22nd Feb 2017

Bigger turnout tonight which is great!

Jobs included taping up all the parts ready to take the epoxy, cutting the wood ready for lamination of the stem, and then a dry run for the clamping itself.

I was keen to keep the strips of wood a long as possible so we can use it to add the mast head onto it, but the height of the frame off the ground restricts how long these can be left, so we’ve gone for the “that fits, lets do that and sort it out later”, approach.

Don’t think this will cause much problem as there is enough wood to attach something onto. At the moment the plan is for the mast head to be removable.

This is the frame that’s been made up for stems.

 

 

 

 

We think it should be warm enough this Wednesday to Epoxy, so that will be the main task on the 1st of March. As can be seen we have borrowed some more sturdy clamps. We think it will be 8 a side.

 

 

 

 

 

We also need to cut out the rest of the planking so the skarfing can be done. If we don’t do this we not have the space to do it later.

Andy has started work on a tiller handle, picture to come next week.

12th Feb 2017

No Boat build this week, half term and too many people away.

But, we’ve been thinking about a mast head, and of course its got to be a Jaguar head of some kind. Sketch 1, as below..

Generally concensus, (ie everyone but me!), think it’s too big, so will go back to the drawing board…..