Author Archives: Bruce

1st March 2017

Another great turn out so we naturally split into two teams, those that had a working knowledge of what they are doing, and those without a scoobie!!

The expoxy team suited up ready to expoxy our lovely prepared wood. As can be seen we have taped the wood ready.

So where’s this boat then?

Clamp anyone?

We also cut out the rest of the wood from the panels as space may have got tight on our working cutting platform. As instructed we labelled up all the panels so we knew exactly where they can from and could recreate the sheet once all the panels had been cut out.

They got to grips with the Epoxy and by all accounts it wasn’t as slippery as expected, but as with most things many hands make for lighter work. The bigger clamps had been placed in first, then a series of tighten as you go.

These people must be experts….

22nd Feb 2017

Bigger turnout tonight which is great!

Jobs included taping up all the parts ready to take the epoxy, cutting the wood ready for lamination of the stem, and then a dry run for the clamping itself.

I was keen to keep the strips of wood a long as possible so we can use it to add the mast head onto it, but the height of the frame off the ground restricts how long these can be left, so we’ve gone for the “that fits, lets do that and sort it out later”, approach.

Don’t think this will cause much problem as there is enough wood to attach something onto. At the moment the plan is for the mast head to be removable.

This is the frame that’s been made up for stems.





We think it should be warm enough this Wednesday to Epoxy, so that will be the main task on the 1st of March. As can be seen we have borrowed some more sturdy clamps. We think it will be 8 a side.






We also need to cut out the rest of the planking so the skarfing can be done. If we don’t do this we not have the space to do it later.

Andy has started work on a tiller handle, picture to come next week.

12th Feb 2017

No Boat build this week, half term and too many people away.

But, we’ve been thinking about a mast head, and of course its got to be a Jaguar head of some kind. Sketch 1, as below..

Generally concensus, (ie everyone but me!), think it’s too big, so will go back to the drawing board…..

8th Feb 2017

We had the best turn out so far tonight, 4 adults and 2 scouts. Many hands make light work.

Build team

The jig the for stems has been finished. We used some leftover wood from the frame and a board that was used to protect the kit when it was delivered. Last week we seemed to spend ages discussing the springback allowance. After working out the exact expected movement we’ve ended up just “allowing for a bit”. The blocks just need to be taped now.

We started and finished taping up the moulds so they are now ready to take the frames.

Andy has built a frame so we can scarf the hogs and is half way through a frame for the planking.

We’ve got the epoxy in and also the clamps. The general consensus is the clamps won’t be up to the job so we’ll get some others.

Clamps that might not be up to the job!

The next jobs, will be gluing the frames and laminating them stems although the cold weather will put this hold. So its’ likely we will start to cut out the planks ready to be scarfed.

Next week is half term so no build taking place.